Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) uses a combination of the campus network, the global internet system, and traditional telephone company access to the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) to place and receive local and long distance calls. After carefully considering vendor proposals, senior UW-Madison leaders have selected Cisco as our VOIP vendor.
-Headset users checklist (PDF)
- When the client launches, a NetID login screen pops up but with a spinning cursor as if it hasn't fully loaded. It has, so just ignore the spinning cursor and enter your credentials.
- To make Cisco Jabber launch every time you log into Windows: Click the Gear icon in the upper right hand corner. Choose File > Options. You will be in the General menu. Check the box to “Start Cisco Jabber when my computer starts.”
- To make Cisco Jabber launch every time you log into MacOS: Click Jabber in the upper left hand corner. Choose Preferences > General. You will be in the General menu. Check the box to "Start Cisco Jabber when my computer starts."
- Accessing your voicemail from a phone, dial 262-2500
- Access the Voicemail Portal from your computer
- Voicemail Menus & Shortcuts
- Configure Email notification of new voicemail (note supported browsers)
- Change Voicemail PIN
- The default PIN is 343842
- Rules to changing your PIN:
The PIN is not the same as any previous PIN.
The digits are not all the same (99999).
The digits are not consecutive (12345).
The digits cannot strictly repeat (872872, 101010).
The PIN is not the same as the extension.
The PIN does not spell the subscribers name.
- Voicemail lockout period is 30 minutes if you enter your PIN incorrectly three times.
Self Care Portal is used for:
- Call Forwarding
- note, if the line you are forwarded to is on a call, or forwarded to voicemail, the incoming caller will receive your own voicemail message.
- Ring Settings (for hard phones)
- Speed dial settings (for hard phones)
- Voicemail Notifications (message waiting light and display settings on your hard phone)
- and more