- Meta Title
- Meta Description
- Improving rank on Search Engine Results Page (SERP)
The Meta Title appears on the tab of the related web page. If you hover over the tab below on our website, you will see the full title: Evening MBA Business Degree Program | Wisconsin School of Business at UW Madison.
While the Meta Title/Title Tag acts as a placeholder for visitors to the page, more importantly, the Title appears on the Search Engine Results Page (SERP):
Meta Title Tips:
- Be descriptive about what content can be found on the page; if someone does a GoogleSearch, the goal is to appear on the results page.
- Be concise - only the first 30 characters show on the tab and about 60 on the SERP.
- The descriptor is always followed by: | Wisconsin School of Business at UW Madison
- Read more about Title Tags
The Meta Description is the search snippet that appears under the Meta Title on a SERP.
Meta Description Tips:
Late in 2017, Google was displaying up to 320 characters. That changed by mid-2018. Our SEO consultants advised in Sept:
- Aim for 160 characters.
- Write two sentences that describe what's on the page.
- Make it a marketing message or an action.
- The goal is to get them to click on the link to learn more.
- Read more about Meta Descriptions in 2018.
Improving our rank on Search Engine Results Page (SERP)
Summer 2018. The biggest take-away from MozCon and MN Search SEO conferences when it comes to content: